Avid scanners provide the ideal solution when cost and performance are important. Avid scanners are used by zoological and wildlife parks, aquariums, port authorities and animal rehabilitation centers to identify, monitor and help protect wild and endangered animals. Port authorities use Avid scanners to enforce CITES by detecting PIT tagged animals and animal parts. Biologists use Avid scanners to help them obtain data on growth and mortality rates, predation and distance traveled between captures. Avid scanners benefit law enforcement, scientists, biologists and their conservation efforts.
Scanning and detecting an implanted PIT Tag is critical to the overall effectiveness of a animal identification system. When a scanner fails to detect the presence of a tag, the animals identification number cannot be recorded. Failure to detect and record the animals identification number can invalidate important research and monitoring programs. Engineered for convenience and performance, Avid scanners offer the best solution to detect PIT Tags during mark and recapture studies, medical evaluations and transport.
Zoological and wildlife parks, aquariums and animal rehabilitation centers are reporting positive results from their scanning programs. Why not improve your research programs by implementing a scanning program at your facility?
Benefits of Scanning Wildlife
- Detecting a PIT Tag is the quickest way to identify, verify and record the animals unique identification number.
- The scanning procedure can be performed during mark and recapture studies, medical examinations, surgery and before the animal is released into their habitat.
- Scanning for the presence of a PIT Tag can help curtail illegal poaching and trade of endangered and threatened wildlife species.
- Scanning for PIT Tags helps biologists obtain data on growth and mortality rates, predation and migration.
What Scanner Solution is Right for My Facility?
Choosing the correct scanning solution is important to your facilities research and conservation efforts. Avid offers a range of microchip scanners for every application and environment. Avid scanners combine portability, versatility and optimum performance in a rugged, lightweight functional design. From our flexible wand reader to the rugged PowerTracker models our scanners are the ideal solution to identify and monitor animals.
- Universal Scanners - A universal scanner is the ideal solution when your research project or facility uses ISO (FDX-B) coded tags or tags from multiple manufacturers. These scanners can read and display PIT Tag identification numbers from any AVID, FECAVA, TROVAN and ISO (FDX-B) coded radio frequency identification tags. Avid offers universal scanners in three different models, the MiniTracker 3, MiniTracker 3 Wand Reader and the Power Tracker 6.
- Avid PowerTrackers - The PowerTracker series of scanners are suitable for more heavy duty and industrial applications. Their portable, water-resistant design and greater read distance make them ideal for field or outside use. The PowerTracker series of scanners are used by many port authorities around the world.
- MiniTracker 3 Wand Reader - The MiniTracker 3 Wand Reader offers all the advantages of the Avid MiniTracker series plus an additional 4" coil on a waterproof, flexible extension arm. The Wand Reader can read and display PIT Tag identification numbers from any AVID, FECAVA, TROVAN and ISO (FDX-B) coded radio frequency identification tags. The MiniTracker 3 Wand Reader can be used much like a metal detector to scan animals under water, through a cage or from a distance. The MiniTracker 3 Wand Reader is particularly useful when repeated observations are required but animal handling must be kept to a minimum.
- Industrial Stationary Reader - The stationary reader is excellent for research projects where the reader will be left on site to record pit tagged animals' movement. This versatile reader comes with a pass-through antenna that is water-proof and capable of reading either Avid or FECAVA coded PIT Tags. The pass-through antenna is available in 6”, 12” or 24” diameters. Many biologists use stationary readers to minimize handling of PIT Tagged animals during research and monitoring projects.
|MiniTracker 1||125KHz||AVID, FECAVA|
|MiniTracker 3||125KHz||AVID, FECAVA, ISO FDX-B|
|MiniTracker 3 Wand Reader||125KHz||AVID, FECAVA, ISO FDX-B, TROVAN|
|PowerTracker 4||128KHz||AVID, FECAVA, TROVAN|
|PowerTracker 5||128KHz||AVID, FECAVA, ISO FDX-B|
|PowerTracker 6||128KHz||AVID, FECAVA, ISO FDX-B, TROVAN|
|PowerTracker 7||134.2KHz||HDX, ISO FDX-B|
|PowerTracker 8||128KHz||AVID, FECAVA, ISO FDX-B|
|MiniTracker 3 Wand Reader||4||4||5|