Every year an estimated 3 to 4 million pets are euthanized because their owners can't be found (Source: ASPCA). A family pet is lost every few seconds. Most of these pets end up in municipal shelters, animal control facilities and humane societies across the United States. Tragically, most of these pets never make it back home because their owners didn't microchip them.
Developed by a veterinarian, the AVID® FriendChip™ is the safest way to permanently identify the pets in your care. The AVID FriendChip is a tiny microchip that fits through a hypodermic needle and is injected under the pets skin where it remains safely for life. This quick procedure can be done anytime and, best of all, protects virtually all companion animals...dogs, cats, horses, birds, reptiles, exotics, even fish!
Once the implant procedure is complete and the pet is enrolled in PETtrac, the pet will have a permanent link back to it's owner. This technology greatly improves a pets chance of being reunited with his owner.
Benefits of Microchipping Your Patients
- Microchipping is the most safe and effective way to permanently identify pets.
- The implant procedure can be performed during admission, wellness exams, vaccinations, and before disposition.
- A study published in the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association determined that the owners of almost three-fourths of microchipped cats and dogs were found due to the presence of a microchip (Source: JAVMA).
- A microchip can reduce a pet's stay at a shelter to several hours instead of days, saving taxpayers and donors an average of $120.00 per animal in kennel fees.
- Once implanted, microchips provide proof of ownership that is virtually impossible to remove or alter.
What is the AVID FriendChip?
- The AVID FriendChip is part of the AVID Pet Recovery System, it provides permanent identification for pets who become lost or displaced.
- The AVID FriendChip is a tiny implantable microchip that is injected under your patients skin.
- The microchip is encapsulated within a glass capsule coated with Parylene C, a biocompatible material used for devices permanently implanted into the body.
- The AVID FriendChip has no batteries and transmits a unique identification number when energized by a reader's electromagnetic field.
How the AVID FriendChip Works
- Each AVID FriendChip has a unique ID number that is encoded and locked into its integrated circuit.
- Because of encryption security, this ID number cannot be altered or duplicated.
- The AVID FriendChip is biocompatible and does not have a battery. It is energized by a scanner whenever the chip needs to be read.
- The scanner energizes the chip with a radio wave and reads the unique number. This all happens really fast—in less than 0.04 second!
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).Web. 24 Oct 2012.
Lord, L. (2009). Characterization of animals with microchips entering animal shelters.
Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 235(2), 165. Retrieved from